Science Year 2016/17 – Seas And Oceansin Research by Lars Brandstäter
The Ferderal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) announced the Year of science 2016/17 with the motto “Seas and Oceans – Discovering, Using, Protecting“.
Oceans cover roughly 70 percent of the Earth’s surface and provide 99 percent of the Earth’s living space. Also more than 90 percent of the trade between countries is carried by ships and 99 percent of international data is transmitted by wires at the bottom of the ocean.
About 44 percent of the world’s population lives in coastal areas, but until now only 5 percent of the ocean has been mapped in detail. The remaining 95% are still unexplored. Oceans are not just the origin of life. They and the seas of the „Blue Planet” are also vital to our future. They are food source, living and economical space. Even most of the oxygen we breathe comes from the ocean. And they are important for the weather and climate.
Those and more topics are set out to be shown to us during the Science Year 2016/17, which will run for 16 months, starting mid-2016 until the end of fall 2017.
Activities such as exhibitions, events and competitions will be held nationwide within Germany, to educate people about topics related to the oceans and seas.
We, from FleetMon, have decided to take actively part, as we want to support the enthusiasm of pupils for the Maritime sector. Teachers of mathematics, geography and technology can reach us through an espacially created portal to arrange a date and to choose the content for interested students from 10 to 16 years.